Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Just finished 8 Days in the hills around whitehorse

Day One
I was introduced to the Lodge and my Guide, Laird (Layered). There were five other people in our group, Alan, the Englishman, was picked up from the hotel with me as well as Maryanne, the dog handler, an Australian! When we got to the lodge Laird took us down to the dog yard and introduced us to our dogs. I got five Alaskan Huskies. Mickie, an experienced Leader, Ella, my bouncy, bubbly Swing; Harry, which I assume is Canadian for Tractor, and Mia, another experienced Wheel dog, though one who is completely and inarguably insane. Once these four were harnessed and ready (Mickie at least, the other three were all known to chew through their harnesses, Laird went and got Sage, my other Leader, who was taken out of the yard temporarily for some reason. Until we started, Sage never once stopped barking. All the dogs barked as they waited to go, but Sage was the worst, and Mickie the best, she just stood there quietly, waiting for the brake to be released.
Mushing is spectacular, the forest, trees laden with fresh snow, sparkled in the sunlight. The air was so fresh out here in the wild it easily rejuvinated me after arriving in Whitehorse at only 2:00 that morning.
After we returned we fed the dogs and returned to the lodge for dinner. I was kicked out of the room I had been put in (Double bed and single bunk) for a Swiss German couple and put instead in the room next to it with two bunk beds, it worked for me as I could be as messy with my gear as I wanted, leaving it strewn about the unused beds.
Well, I'm tired now after updating my facebook posts so I'm going back to my room to recharge before I hit the pubs. Cheers all

No comments:

Post a Comment