Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Sled trip, Day 3

We wake up at 8:00 to feed the dogs, its still dark. Once this is done Alan, Casper and I volunteer to take the empty water barrrels down to the creek in a sled to refill them and search for the missing ones, since we're out of water. This proves far more difficult than previously thought. The distance is far greater on foot than by Alaskan Husky (there's a difference between them and regular huskies, I'll explain later).Alan`s back is in bad shape and Caspar pushed the sled, so I refill the three barrels, this is easy enough; then we have to push the sled back up the trail to the camp. It is a strenuous activity which takes a whole lot of vigour out of us, we all quickly regret volunteering at all, alternating between pushing the sled, and pulling either the harness`or brakeline. When we finally reach the camp, after far more turns than we remember, I waste no time in throwing off my layers, remaining only in pants, chest, hands and head naked to the elements. It felt great. Even Skadi couldn`t encourage me to put on a shirt at that moment, icy though her breath was.
Once the water was set to boil and we three had recovered our strength, Laird offered us snacks and gave the order to begin preparing our dogs for the day`s journey. I accepted a peanut bar which I never intended to eat.
Thus ended the first half of day 3. Stay tuned for the sled trip to Mud Lake, and my own valiant efforts not to lose my ears to frostbite, plus the astonishing conclusion to day 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment